Menopause is a time in a woman’s life where hormones decline fast. This quick decline is the reason why symptoms can be sudden and severe. However, our bodies can handle this stressful time in life better if our adrenal glands (our stress handling glands) are functioning at their best.
Do you have any of these symptoms?
- Night sweats
- Sleeping difficulties
- Weight gain
- Declining memory or focus
- Inability to skip a meal
Do you have any of the following health concerns?
- Osteoporosis or low bone density
- Elevated blood pressure
- Elevated cholesterol
- Elevated blood sugar
- Muscle weakness
- Thin skin
All of these symptoms are associated with hormone imbalance, but it is not the hormones that are causing it! It is poor adrenal gland function. Our adrenal glands are our stress handling glands that make cortisol to cope with all of the stressors we are exposed to. These symptoms are all associated with elevated cortisol production, which happens with elevated stress. Our hormone levels reduce so that cortisol can be made to handle stress. This means when we have high stress, we have hormone imbalance and symptoms.
Women make hormones primarily in the adrenal glands and in the ovaries. When women go through menopause, they are significantly reducing the amount of hormones their body makes from their ovaries (due to a decline and eventually cessation of ovulation). This means that our adrenal glands need to pick up for the “slack”. If women are already stressed and in a state of adrenal fatigue, menopausal symptoms can be worse.
Supporting the adrenal glands is key to feeling great through menopause. Here are some tips to improve adrenal gland function:
- Begin, it’s never too late!
- Fresh air and movement in the morning hours.
- Sunlight exposure on the eyelids for 10 minutes a day.
- Sleep 8 hours a night (be asleep by no later than 11 pm for the best results)
- Pass on the junk food and foods that you are sensitive/allergic to
- Stress management; just say no, meditation, breath, walks outside, yoga, take vacations…
- Make healthy food choices (getting good fats, carbs and protein) to improve health and reduce internal stress. Consume healthy protein sources for breakfast, lunch and dinner and focus on having the bulk of carbohydrate intake in the evening hours. Limit or avoid alcohol, caffeine, hot/spicy foods, and sugar
- Reduce chemical exposures, and remember to choose natural body care products and make up.
- Take a multiple vitamin and mineral supplement that has additional vitamins that support adrenal gland function, such as higher amounts of B vitamins and vitamin C. I have professional quality options available for you at the office.
- Consume adrenal supportive herbs by tea, infusion, tincture or encapsulated dry herb. Consider a consultation, with myself, for an herbal blend that is individualized for you.
If you are interested in individualized recommendations based on your health history and concerns, consider contacting me for a complimentary 15 minute consultation to learn how my services may be beneficial for your health care needs. I would be happy to work with you.