Gut health determines how we feel, how healthy we are, how well we digest and absorb nutrients, if we have food sensitivities, and more! Naturopathic doctors, such as myself, focus on the root cause of health concerns and this always involves supporting gastrointestinal function, especially with kids. Supporting gut health promotes good digestion and absorption. This means better nutrition, which can benefit gastrointestinal concerns, anxiety, depression, sleeping issues, chronic illnesses, skin conditions, and more.
5 Steps To Improve Your Child’s Gut Health
- Provide clean and nutritious whole foods, avoiding processed foods and sugary foods.
- Give your kids a good quality probiotic (good bacteria), like Therbiotic Children’s Chewable (on sale this month for 15% off!).
- Establish healthy daily bowel movements with good fiber intake (promoting veggies, nuts, seeds, beans, legumes, fruit, etc).
- Remove foods that cause issues (figure out food sensitivities) – most commonly processed foods, diary, wheat, gluten, corn, soy, eggs, and/or sugar.
- Give basic nutrients such as a multi-vitamin, vitamin D, and fish oil.
Oh, and one more tip … Encourage them chew their food! See who can chew each bite the longest. This will benefit all who compete and ends up being a win-win for all!
If you have questions or concerns regarding children’s health or potential food sensitivities, please feel free to contact me. I would be happy to answer questions you might have on how my services can improve the health of your family.